Sunday, March 13, 2016

Quick! Find Me A Keyboard......Old People Are Dying!

....apparently he was quite famous....

Sometimes I feel I should leave my laptop drying out in a bowl of rice overnight, such is the lachrimosity that floods the social media these days. We are awash in tears for people who have got old and gone and died. That is sooooo unfair...

To me this seems now to have reached epidemic and embarrassing proportions in the music world. Suddenly it seems as though - for some quick-fingered posters - The End must be Nigh. A lot of old people are dying and every time one of them, keels over, pops their clogs, goes off to meet their maker and shakes hands in a sun-drenched far distant place full of Marshall amps and free beer, it seems as though it has become incumbent on everyone with access to a keyboard to offer up condolences, a YouTube clip, a reminiscence or just a straightforward RIP Full Stop.

Don't misunderstand me. I don't have a problem with displays of genuine grief. I have been there. Whatever the circumstances, the personal loss is shattering. The family, friends and acquaintances left behind can be devastated. Indeed, whether or not you knew them, the loss of someone who affected your life, was a personal inspiration or even simply brought about a sea-change in your attitudes can be easily understood.

However, it now seems to have become mandatory, obligatory, essential to pass comment - even if you only hear about the death through a fourth generation Shared Post and a quick check on Wikipedia. Er, who was he/she? Ah, yes, got it - now where's my keyboard...

The Public Automatic Response Condolence Note has become the Printed Selfie. Look at me. I am a sensitive and clued up music person. Check me out. I am a Leading Edge In Touch music buff – and here is my certificate of authenticity....RIP  - or Whatever....

I am not a hard-hearted misery but quite frankly, I am not interested in reading about Geoff Blog's life-changing moment when he once saw a recently dead bandsman at a concert at The Rainbow before they turned it into a church in Nineteen Hundred and Freezing. Any more than I am interested in hearing about how a radio 'personality' once rubbed shoulders with the deceased at a concert freebee...oooh listen to me, I am famous by association... Stop. Don't bring your memes into my house.

Look a bit closer. The deceased was 76. He/she hadn't played or sung publicly for decades. They may have been seriously unwell for many years. In addition, many of them might well have imbibed, sniffed and injected every substance known to man on their way to a cheerful 76. You didn't know them. You never met them and the fact that their stonking early music was good and, in its day influential, does not give you automatic ownership of the grief being suffered by those close to them. How would you feel if you were in mourning and an illiterate body snatcher came to the wake?

Guess what? This year a lot of old people have died. Certainly some of them did indeed bring about huge changes in our musical landscape and the sense of loss is mighty and deserving of remembrance. You will all know who they are.
I am affected, just like everyone else. However, most of them seemed to have had long and interesting lives. Most of the recent losses were of people aged 67, 71, 75, 80 and even 94. Because, for the most part, the age of 24hour rocknroll degeneracy has now virtually disappeared, few of them die young and join the tragic 27 club. It should come as no surprise that many musicians born in the Forties who produced world changing music in the Sixties are now getting old and vulnerable. Listen. That whole generation of musicians, the one that seems to have influenced so many who came after them are now reaching their old age and you need to get your head round the fact that the music Statistics Are Not On Their Side. It's time everybody got used to the idea that quite a lot of old people die when they get old. Yes, of course it is sad but I can get my own sackcloth and ashes. I don't need yours all over my inbox.
A while back, a blog I wrote about big Barry Middleton - the popular club manager and British Blues Awards Organiser - and his contribution to the blues world, went viral and was posted thousands of times around the globe. It was shared by people, not because of their personal loss, but because of what Barry represented and because people realised how the Barrys of this world really did make a difference. There were no claims of ownership, there was no hi-jacking of grief. There was, however a joyful acknowledgement of the contribution of all the Barrys world wide. That is how it should be. So keep your Instant Crocodiles out of my in-box...

As for me? Well my intelligent, streetwise children and friends have clear instructions to 'roll me up and smoke me when I die' and of course, I have already written a very long flattering obituary of Me Me Me which will be shared with anybody who has a keyboard.....

Pip Pip!
The Blues Man in The Hat

(Names of famous dead old people have been deliberately omitted from this blog)