Monday, December 15, 2014

Humbug and Hebden.....and Thank You...


Well, I've hung my big shiny red balls on the door of Hat Mansions, have got grannie's miniature christmas tree down from the loft and have tied the traditional Ford Consul Nylon Christmas Dice to a door handle. Cozy the Cat's tin stock is in good order. The flashing lights don't work but I don't care. I'm done. I'm all decorated. I'm ready. 

Once again, I am penning my seasonal Thank You, my friends, for sticking with me through what the Chinese might call an Interesting Hat Year. Those of you who have suffered the irregular syntax, punctuation and Abused Capital Letters with Pointless Dots...over the last twelve months will receive this seasonal virtual handshake, virtual emotional hug and virtual embossed certificate for your beyond-the-call-of-duty loyalty and determination. I really don't know how you do it. It must be the way I tell 'em.... 

Over many years, I have been privileged to have encountered hundreds in this weird bluesy habitat of ours, musicians and their fans, blues radio whisperers, club organisers and almost without exception it has been a pleasure and a joy. The enthusiasm is always unbounded, the knowledge impressive and the talent awe inspiring. I am grateful that I have a platform where, every so often, I can blow our trumpet, shout from a roof top and ring my town crier's bell and remind anyone who will listen just how good is our fabulous music world....oh, yeah, and I get to be Opinionated Without an Editor...which is nice...

To have chronicled from the first day, all this, in captured microcosm, with the appearance, rise and hugely successful stellar flight of the now, in this 2014 year, sadly no longer, Hebden Bridge Blues Festival was a delight. All those high values we set ourselves tempered with heavy layers of fun and good feeling, were there, from the first chord to the last air guitar four years later. The whole alphabet of blues musicians, from the awesome Aynsley and Amor to the beautiful zephyr Zirins turned up and gave their brilliant all. Those awards were well deserved.

That wonderful Festival and its extended Family will be much missed of course....but weep not...the dynamic, organic blues world is overflowing with good stuff, queueing up for your attention and bidding for some Ear and Air time. Maybe we'll meet again somewhere.

As for The Hat's Christmas with his erudite cat Cozy? Well, I still have some Stoly in the larder, the rest of the Black Bush and new batteries for the remote. I confidently expect to be around to keep an eye on you and your blues next year - and for a while yet. Meanwhile, wherever you are and whatever you are up to, Have a Merry Christmas My Friends!

Pip Pip!
The Blues Man in The Hat